Thursday, July 30, 2009

Update....

Sorry it has been so long. My summer is flying by. I had to get through our state drill competition. My lovely drill pony, Surprise (MissFire's partner in crime), had been put on the back burner during the EMM and it sure showed. Every time I would saddle up and head to practice or a competition I would get a nice bronc ride! I don't mind a little bucking but this was full out bucking! Of course with some extra time under saddle she came right around and gave it up (at least I hope).

Well now that state is over I decided it was time to start working with MissFire again. It had been over 30 days since my little girl had seen a saddle and she sure acted like she had never seen one! Well I saddled her and took her out to the arena to lunge her and surprisingly there wasn't any bucking. There was some hopping but no bucking. I did this for a couple days. She was acting pretty "cinchy" and I didn't want to get caught in the middle of a mess.

Well last Sunday my drill team went for trail ride. I was a little nervous to get back on after the break. I played it over and over in my head and couldn't figure out why I didn't want to get back on. She has never given me any reason to be afraid of her even from the first ride on. She has always been great. So anyways I wanted for everyone to get one and head towards the trail head. I waited until I was off the road before climbing on. She felt solid! Not a care in the world. She seemed really happy to have me back on her back and heading down the trail. We rode for a couple hours and she was great the entire trip. Of course when I got home and went to unsaddle and hose her down she completely fell apart. She's such a drama queen!

Well on Tuesday I had her shoes pulled and her toes trimmed. She didn't know what to think of the farrier. He was goofy and when she would try to run away he would go with her. When she would sit on a single leg so he couldn't pick it up he would touch a different leg. He completely fried her little brain. It was so fun to watch. He was never mean or angry but he would call her bluff. He read her from the beginning as chicken and a chicken she is!

All in all she is doing great! She is a little (ok a lot) on the porky side. She really needs to get back to work but with all this heat there isn't much going on. I try to get out to the barn every night and brush the girls (yes I only have the two girls and the mini donk left) and Jr. MissFire pretends she doesn't like to be pampered as its tons of drama to be brushed, but I think deep down she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment