Monday, April 6, 2009

Crazy Weekend

So the last couple of days have been crazy. I decided to go to Juliane’s for a Mustang get together. Both of us felt we needed to set some extra time aside just for the Mustangs. So Friday I took a half day from work and headed to Juliane’s.

Once we got to the arena we took MissFire to the round pen and began working with her with the tarp. She was hilarious! She acted like she was scared but was busy looking at something else. It didn’t take long until she was wearing it. That was pretty boring so Juliane took over and addressed her mouth issues. It was a long battle for both of the girls. MissFire wasn’t having any of it and Juliane wasn’t giving up. For the first time ever MissFire took to striking out (several times) at Juliane. When that didn’t work she would drop her head to the ground (still evading) but allow Juliane to put her finger in her mouth. She is so irritating when it comes to her mouth. Next we worked on laying over her and putting our leg over her. She was pretty boring for the most part. It didn’t surprise me to much since her major problems go along with her mouth. Once she was cooled down we called it quits for the time being.













Oh what to do with you?
Later that night we headed back to the round pen not certain what to expect. To my surprise we found a calm quiet MissFire who was standing completely still and allowed me to do mounting exercises. She was great, I even got brave and swung my leg over a couple times. She never acted scared, nervous, or anything but quiet and relaxed. I was a little worried because my little fireball doesn’t typically take new things so quietly. So I quit for a bit and let Juliane have a turn with Sangria while MissFire sat around soaking it all in. When we went back to working with MissFire we were able to ride small circles at a walk. She was so light with the halter and was bending and giving with a light touch. I couldn’t be happier with her first ride. She was so calm and quiet. It was like I had a new horse. I kept asking “where is my horse?” Don’t get me wrong I loved the “new” MissFire but it was a little scary not getting any reaction out of her.





Well my fire ball was back on Saturday. She was a pill to halter on, not surprising at all. When we got to the arena I saddled her and tied her to the rail while we practiced. She stood mostly quiet. I did look over at one point and watched her reach out and touch a perfect stranger with her nose. Crazy pony! Anyhow when I went and got her from the rail I proceeded to mounting exercises. I will admit I was being a weenie! I didn’t really want to ride her in such a large arena with so many other horses. So after some peer pressure from the team (thanks guys) I swung my leg over and walked around a bit. Of course she was great! Not as quiet as yesterday but still not worried. I rode her a few different times before I took her to the river. She dove straight in, she has issues with water and they are she has to be in it or drinking it at all times. I wonder if she didn’t have much of a water source where she came from. Well Skippy and MissFire soaked me before we left the water. They pawed so much and so hard they were getting water up on my head. Lets just say they had a blast!

And if she hasn’t been through enough I took her another sleep over tonight so she can go to a 4-H show. When we arrived I was put to work working the in gates and judging so I left her in the trailer for a couple hours. She doesn't always stand still at the trailer and with so many little kids I wanted to be there when she was out there. When I let her out and tied her to the trailer she was very happy to be out. She eventually tied quietly. We walked around eating grass and meeting new people. I had some kids play with her (older ones that I know) and she just hung out. I didn't try to ride her today. I figured with all the kids and wasn't sure if I would be allowed so it was an easy day. MissFire was so happy to be home tucked into her stall last night. She is exhausted!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! What an awesome weekend with MissFire! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work (and nice roundpen! LOL) MissFire reminds me a lot of my late OTTB mare, I'm rooting for you guys!

    ReplyDelete