Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Catch Me If You Can!

MissFire and I make great progress everyday. She is so smart she learns everything first time. Well on the flip side of this she learns how to evade me very fast too! From day one she has been hesitant to let me catch her. She stands and lets me approach her and I can pet and scratch her all day long. When I go to "catch" her she won't let me. She turns her head and "practices"
bending. She bends her nose around to her girth area. Monday afternoon I played catch and release for over an hour. I had a halter and lead and was rubbing her all over with them. She got to where she was very consistent on letting me catch her with little problem. She did walk down my long driveway to get the mail with me. She is so curious she didn't want to leave the row of mailboxes. The old phone books in bags were so cool! I put her straight int he trailer for a quick trip to town to run some errands. She loads and hauls great. She is a little impatient when the trailer isn't moving. But thats typical baby stuff.

Tuesday I went out to catch her and it didn't take too long to catch her. I saddled her and loaded her in the trailer to head to the Unit to ride. Tonight when I got there the arena was empty. Just Mufasa, MissFire, and me for the first twenty minutes. Then the others started trickling in. MissFire is not sure of the other horses and they make her very nervous. She didn't kick at anyone tonight so thats a plus. When my friend Jessica arrived she handed me her horse and took MissFire from me. MissFire hasn't had much handling besides Juliane and me so she wasn't too sure. Jessica rubbed her all over on both sides and just played with her for a bit. I finished riding and loaded her back up to go home.

When I arrived at home I unloaded the horses and took them to the barn. I spent quite a bit of work of just touching and rubbing her all over. Then practiced haltering. I made the decision to take her halter off last night. I haven't tried to catch her yet today but I think it will be fine. Tonight she gets to go with me to some riding lessons for some 4-H girls. Afterwards I might hit another arena to play with her.

2 comments:

  1. MissFire is so cute! I had fun playing with her last night! :) She's coming along so quickly and looked adorable with a saddle on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great progress, Jenny! It's great that you took her halter off - but it sure is a heart stopping moment, eh? :) I can't wait to hear how it goes today!

    ReplyDelete