Thursday, March 19, 2009

Road Trip!!


Yesterday afternoon I decided to take MissFire to Juliane's for a play date with the Mustangs. I also brought a couple different horses with me so she had to make her first trailer ride tied up. She did really well with it. No pulling back no nothing.


Once we arrived I unloaded and started brushing the horses. MissFire was still a muddy mess and covered in shavings. I did manage to brush most of her. She just gets better every day. After Skippy was saddled we walked the horses over to the neighbors round pen. This meant walking down the road past cars, mailboxes, motorcycles, etc. This was very scary! but she took it all in. She only spooked once and jumped forward but didn't get loose. As soon as she felt the halter pull she stopped and came back. Once at the round pen we stood outside and waited for Juliane to finish working with Sangria. We worked on leading and desensitizing work. She was alright with the flag on both sides of her including her rear.I was very impressed.

When we were able to get in the round pen I turned her loose, worried what I might have. For one this is the lowest fence I have had her in and two we didn't have the best day the day before. To my surprise she was great! No attitude just a working pony. We worked on basic round penning and she let me walk up to her a few times. She was great so I let her have an easy workout. The rest of the trip was a mental workout for her.


Back at the trailer we untacked Skippy and loaded her in the trailer and tied her in. She had to wait a couple hours before going home since there was a team meeting for Cowgirl Spirit. When I arrived back to the trailer she was standing quietly and my trailer was still in one piece.

She was very happy to be home last night. She went right into her stall and started drinking. This is the most water she has drank since she has been here. She only wants to drink out of mud puddles. I'm not sure why but I am very happy she drank last night! I think she really likes being a "real" horse and having a job to do. I think tonight I will be hauling her up to a covered arena tonight. I dont really want to play in my soupy round pen plus it would be good for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment