Friday, March 27, 2009

Second Trail Ride!

What to do with MissFire. She is still fighting being caught. I went out in kind of a hurry trying to get loaded and on the road. I know horses don't have time lines....Anyhow I played catch and release for a bit, approached her on both sides, and then finally attempted to halter. She didn't go for it. So I got serious, I'm done with catching games. I worked her in a couple circles before asking her to stop and face me. When she did she stood stock still allowing me to catch her. I put the halter around her neck and started petting her jaw and chin with the halter. After about five minutes she just stood there allowing me to pet her nose with the halter. I don't get it. I have been working all week to achieve this and get serious no more Mrs. Nice lady and here we are. I did this a while then haltered and took her to the barn.

After she was brushed I loaded her into the trailer. For the first time I closed the divider on the trailer. Mufasa had a couple good cuts on his legs yesterday and I am guessing she kicked him plus its time to learn. Surprisingly she accepted this and stepped over so I could close it. I then loaded Surprise and headed for the hills.

After both girls have been saddled I thought to myself, "What are you doing?" I brought a 4 year old feisty Mustang and a 7 year old feisty Thoroughbred/Quarter cross that do not get along. I let them out together once and wasn't sure if one of them was going to make it. They sat there butt to butt kicking each other. Neither one of them got hurt they were to close! Anyhow as I mounted my mare I wondered when the last time I had been on her that she was good. Its been a while. She was great! They both went up and down the hills and to the waterfall we went. MissFire sure loves the hills. She is so happy to be there and doesn't give me any grief. She has even learned that when you go around a tree the wrong way you really quickly back up and go along the other side. So smart she is!

When I was preparing to load her she moved away from my friend Nora. I told Nora to go pet her. Well forgetting Nora's personality she didn't quit until she was scratching her all over including between her butt cheeks! I haven't hardly touched her hind end and she gets how far. MissFire loved the rub down. She got nervous a couple times and moved away but she was always on a long lead attached to me and could leave anytime.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Jenny! That's great that both the girls behaved themselves! :)

    ReplyDelete