Monday, March 23, 2009

This Weekend..

I took off to Albany to watch the Northwest Extreme Mustang Makeover. I loved watching all of the horses and there was so much to learn. The horses were very nice and well trained. I left Friday Morning and we got home Saturday evening. This left MissFire untouched from Thursday until Saturday. She was so full of herself. She wanted to buck and run on the end of my lead. The hardest part was there was a horse in the round pen being worked so we had to wait our turn. She has no patience when she has this much energy.

When we finally got in there I put her to work. She is getting very consistant with her inside turns and good for stopping and standing and letting me walk up and rub her. When I would go to catch her she would take off. We spent two hours or so working on this. Juliane finally stepped in to try and eventually she was able to scratch her face and catch her. It was dark at this time so we called it a night. We had planned on starting her under saddle that night but she had other plans. No problem it can wait for another day.

Sunday morning I wanted to go for a ride. I got up and fed the ponies and took MissFire to the round pen. I grabbed my saddle and pad. She had no problem with either one. I grabbed the cinch and held it against her stomach and asked her to walk. She was fine so I cinched her up. It was snug but not tight. I walked her a couple steps and went to tighten it some more and I got an explosion. Her belly was over my the tops of my panels. She carried on for quiet some time. Eventually the saddle slipped and was hanging to one side. I got her stopped and caught pretty quickly and uncinched the saddle. When if fell she jumped away and looked at it. I imediately grabbed the pad and put it back on along with the saddle. I made it be no big deal and resaddled her right away. She never had another problem. When it was tight I sent her out and she was great. I put her back in her stall to finish breakfast.

When we made it to the trail head I unloaded and got the ponies ready. MissFire was pretty excited but really worried. This is the first time she had ever been near other horses while they were being ridden except me and Skippy. She took everything in stride and didn't have issues with anything. Skippy on the other hand was a total dork and decided to be herd bound and prance and dance the entire ride. He never acts like this. Well MissFire acted like nothing was going on and just followed behind. I unsaddled and brushed at the trailer.

I managed to unload and take a quick break at home (to set up night feeding) before loading up to go to drill practice. MissFire didn't know what to expect. All those crazy horses running around with people on their backs. She did kick a couple times when they would coming running up behind her and barely miss running her over. I completely expected it. That is her way of defending herself. She doesn't bite or strike, she runs and kicks. Its just her and she gets better everyday it will just take him. She got to spend the next two hours tied to my trailer. I have only tied her solid inside the trailer. Never next to it. She did great!!

She was so happy to be home in her stall last night. We even worked on haltering. Another day or so and she will have her halter off in her stall. Yay for MissFire!!

No comments:

Post a Comment