Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Saturday morning I headed out to the barn to feed the ponies. After everyone was fed I stepped into the stall with MissFire. Not knowing what to expect from her. At first I just hung out in there. She was pretty nervous with me in there. At one point she tried to run through the bars on my stall and bent the re-bar with her forehead. I picked up her lead rope and started with basic sending exercises. Left to right, right to left. She picked this up really fast. Next was introducing the flag. After a bit she let me get the flag within 3 feet of her on both sides of her. We stopped for a bit and went to get something to eat.

When we arrived back to work with the ponies I went into Sangria's stall and braided her mane while Juliane worked with MissFire. She was working on touching and rubbing her with the flag. She came quit a ways in just a short time.

Later that evening I took MissFire out to the round pen with my trusty gelding Skippy. My goals were to just ride around her. Well out the window that went. I ended up picking up the lead rope and ponied her around the arena. At first it was basic turning circles since she wouldn't go forward. By the end she was coming right along and giving to the pressure. I then got off and tried it from the ground. She was great! She was following me and being lead. By the end of the night I was able to touch her neck just a little bit!

Sunday brought a really late start. I just couldn't get motivated. I made it out to the barn and took her lead rope off. She was pretty easy to catch. I took her out to the round pen and did some basic ground work. It was pouring down rain/snowing/hailing. It was miserable. I loaded her in the trailer in between down pours. That was about it for the day.

Monday brought a lot of firsts...She was able to spend the day in the barn aisle which made her happy. She was able to mingle with her new friends. At lunch I loaded her up in the trailer with her friend Mufasa and took her on a coffee run. I cheated a little and lead Mufasa and her together so she was most likely following him. This was her first trip out of the barn or round pen. When I got back I parked up by the house, unloaded, and walk the two of them across the yard and to the barn. She was great.

After work I went out to work her and did more basics in the round pen. We also walked around the arena (those cones are so scary). She is so cute when she spooks. She is so curious it kills her. So she is trying to run backwards away from the cone but her nose is stretched out trying to touch it. I will have to get pictures and show you guys. She then walked all the way across the yard and loaded into the trailer. Yes walked up smelled it and hopped in. I took off the lead and off to the feed store we went. She was quiet the entire trip. A bit nervous but quiet. She was very happy to get home. Then she was tied in her stall while I cleaned the other stalls. When it was time for her stall I tied her in the aisle. Not to bad for her first time. She is impatient and loves to throw fits. Before I tucked her into bed last night I attempted to brush her. Remember she has only let me touch he withers and a bit of her neck. She let me brush both sides of her neck, withers, back, and sides. Very impressed!

All in all I love working with this girl. She is very spunky and full of attitude but she is so smart and willing to work. If she can't find the right answer she keeps trying until she does.

2 comments:

  1. She's just adorable!!! I want to come out and see her again soonly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we ride this week she will be coming!

    ReplyDelete